Going on a Duckweed Hunt

January 3, 2017

Got me a lil’ Chromebook, a couple pairs of hiking pants, a few t shirts, and an armload of duckweed intentions- packing all and am off to Thailand and surrounding countries for awhile. Will blog the journey either here or as a travel blog with a link from here.

California Coastline

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you.

Cheers,
Tamra

1. April Merta permalink
    April 27, 2017 5:05 am

Hi there from Australia. I have just come upon your site when searching commercial duck weed operations. I live in North Australia (tropical) and am interested in setting something up here. I am in a livestock farming/sugar cane area and find duckweed and its uses fascinating. I also live near the Great Barrier Reef and believe the run off from farmers is an issue, this could be awesome in my part of the world. One of the local universities is doing a three year trial on it, establishing growth on farms, which would kind of mean it may not be an economical viable project for me if they get on it, but I know the potential is there for so much more. I believe they are using the cow manure to fertilize the duckweed ponds on the farm and then the cattle are eating straight from the ponds; how awesome, if that’s not environmental recycling, I don’t know what is.

• April 27, 2017 5:12 am

April, love your idea on recapturing waste nutrients before they get to the Great Barrier Reef. Am not certain on the cause and effect of added nutrients leading to reef decline but the idea is fascinating. Duckweed in integrated farming systems is indeed a sustainability “missing piece to the puzzle.” Hope you can get a duckweed project going. Am currently in New Zealand or I’d come and help you up there.

• April Merta permalink
        May 4, 2017 2:12 am

Hi Tamraf, I am now looking more into importing the newly released by products as research tells me I don’t have the expertise to develop product from farming lol. It is such an exciting industry. Cheers.

2. Roor Organek permalink
    April 23, 2017 11:50 pm

I’m using duckweed as an indicator of 9+ pH in my fish tanks. They turn light green then yellow in high pH water. Like a canary in a coal mine! Great stuff on here! Thank you for spreading the word!

3. January 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Hey there!
    I have an enormous dam/cum lake choked with duckweed, and I am keen to use it as fertiliser (if I can get it out!)
    Thing is, Australian natives don’t like a high phosphorus content. I am imagining from your article that it would therefore be unsuitable. Any thoughts??
    Ch

• April 24, 2017 3:20 am

If your duckweed is thriving, then no worries on the phosphate loads. Usually algae will try to take over a pond with high phosphate, that is the worry.

4. Tom Colton permalink
    January 3, 2017 2:12 pm

That’ll be a fantastic journey! I’m a bit jealous but also glad for you. Hope you have a save yet exciting trip. Can’t wait to read about your adventure and please try to include some pictures.