Lemna Farm Under Development

March 7, 2013

Preparations for my lemna farm are proceeding with a few minor road blocks here n there. I am still on track for seeding out duckweed in early April so that is really good. It seemed so simple in the beginning. Grow and harvest duckweed, process and solar dry it, package and sell it. The devil is in the details! I work feverishly every day to make it all a reality. I go to sleep with mental instructions of what I want my sub-conscience to work on while I sleep. Many times I wake up with an answer to something that had evaded me the day before. Love how our brains operate!

Have been working toward getting certified organic. No one has done that probably ever with duckweed so it’s a learning process for all involved. If anyone HAS, please let me know so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

In other duckweed news, we are having an ILA Round Table concall tomorrow. I missed the last call and feel a bit out of sync with what everyone else is doing, duckweed-wise. The first invitations to the 2nd World Conference on Duckweed were sent out last week thanks to Eric Lam. It’ll be held at Rutgers University in August. If you want to go, let me know and I’ll be sure to get you an invite.

I took a refresher Entrepreneur Jump Start night course for a few weeks. What a great relearning curve! Have to say a huge thank you to Phyllis Maclin for her ability to assess my project from 12,000 ft up and swoop in with great advice on how to tighten it up.

1. Don Olive permalink
    April 11, 2015 1:06 pm

I’m looking for a source of live duckweed in Haiti that we will use in a talapia fish farm we are building for an orphanage. Any ideas anyone?

• Lucas Ellis permalink
      April 27, 2016 7:46 am

Don,
      We’re working on a similar project in Haiti this year — any luck?

2. Gwan permalink
    April 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Hey Tamra,

I’m in the process of getting my duckweed certified organic. I’ll let you know when it gets approval.

Gwan

• April 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Gwan, that is GREAT!!! Glad to read it. What state are you in?

• Gwan permalink
        April 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Hey Tamra,

I’m in Desert Center, California. I just got a reply from my certification agency a moment ago. I just need to add the field where I grow the duckweed. So, it seemed to be pretty simple to add to existing certification.

Gwan

• Ashley Falk permalink
          February 4, 2014 7:41 pm

Gwan,

I am wondering if you got your duckweed certified organic yet?
          If so would I be able to purchase some from you for my fresh water tanks? I have some turtles I would love to feed on an everyday basis looking for lots of it. Is it Lemna Minor?

Ashley

• Gwan permalink
            February 5, 2014 7:23 am

Hello Ashley,

I just had my annual inspection from CCOF (California Certified Organic Farmers) last month which include the duckweed ponds. Unfortunately, the duckweed was not there yet (the water was too cold). The duckweed should return sometimes in April/May time period when the water is warm. I am growing the duckweed organically so it just a matter of getting a stamp of approval from CCOF when the duckweed is present. I will update you when I get it certified.

3. April 12, 2013 4:01 am

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.

Look advanced to far added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we communicate?

4. Jaimee H. permalink
    March 31, 2013 1:04 am

Sounds like you’re on the right track and I hope you’ll be really successful with no hiccups in your process for getting certified organic! I am just now catching onto the backyard DIY aquaponics farms and have been researching duckweed and where to buy it. I don’t see a store on your site where to buy yours? I am trying to see if I can offset my medical expenses and grocery bills with eating from home, teaching my special needs kids things they don’t get in a classroom setting or anywhere here in the city. They LOVE water (I actually call them my little fish) and would be ecstatic if they could be involved in feeding the fishes AND planting a garden! Any way you can point me in the right direction? Thanks so much! Blessings! -Jaimee

• April 9, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Jaimee, sorry for missing your email earlier. I bioprospect for my duckweed locally. Type in “bioprospecting” in the above search bar and you’ll find my post about how to go about it. I would shoot for using duckweed as a fresh mix up to 20% of total rations for chickens.(not for young chicks though). With fish, you can go upwards of 35-40% total rations. If you dry it, you can feed fish more. I’ve seen tilapia growers use it up to 75% of their total rations, but cannot confirm their growth results as it depends on HOW the duckweed is grown- whether with a high nitrogen fertilizer (organic) or low nutrient inputs. Low nutrient inputs result in duckweed with a higher starch/lower protein content.
      Use your excess duckweed as a nitrogen boost for your compost bins, or layer it around your veggies as mulch/slow release fertilizer.
      Good luck with your urban farming. Involving your kids in growing their own food is what it’s all about.
      Tamra

5. Ron Moore permalink
    March 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Pls send me info on Lemna meeting at Rutgers in August. Am trying to establish a Duckweed farm in Haiti to feed tilapia, chickens, goats, etc etc. etc.

6. March 8, 2013 12:40 pm

Hopefully it won’t cost me all that much here in KY. As I am growing it organically already, the main issue is lack of precedence. With organic certfication, I can use it for market advantage over its counterparts..

March 8, 2013 12:04 pm

Good luck on this new endeavor!

Do you really think it’s worth the extra effort and expense to go certified organic?

• Ashley Falk permalink
      February 4, 2014 8:28 pm

Going certified organic in most all cases doubles the profit margin……most cases conventional products are less than half price of the same certified organic product.
      If organic methods are used it may be harder to get big yields but the price change out ways the loss in yields.