Drying Duckweed Efficiently
Today I posed this question to our ILA Round Table members during our biweekly meeting, “Since drying duckweed is what I consider the greatest hurdle to overcome in developing a duckweed industry, what are our options at this stage?”
Their answers included…
1. Align with a company with excess/waste heat
2. Solar drying
3. Geothermal- either low grade or high and heat pump
4. Hydrothermal ” “
5. Partial drying to save on energy costs
6.Use other drier sources of mixtures as in animal feed components to moderate moisture content
7. Start a secondary facility that you can do cogen with your own waste heat
8. Hybrids of any and all of the above.
9. Use wet duckweed instead of dry and skip the entire issue. :)
Thanks Rolf, Louis, Mark, Ron, Loren, Susan, and Hamdi for your contributions on this subject.